[Techtalk] Sendmail question (1 of 2)

jm jack at endofhistory.com
Mon Mar 29 11:15:59 EST 2004

> Hi, everyone,
>
> I've recently inherited sendmail administration and I've learned that the
> previous (and present) admins have been directly editing the sendmail.cf
> file.  I prefer to use a .mc file and m4 and that really is a change others
> here would like to see too.  Here's the catch:  our sendmail.cf file is
> already highly customized.  How do I preserve the options I already have?
> If I use the stock .mc file provided with SuSe (our corporate Linux
> standard) I fully expect I'd overwrite what we already have.
>
> I'm probably missing some simple, obvious solution but my brain isn't
> working terribly well today.
>
> Suggestions?

There is no way to make an .mc file from an existing .cf,
that I know of (and I would love to be proven wrong! =D).

What I would do is go through the .cf, make note of all the non-stock
features, create an .mc file with those enabled, generate a "scratch"
test.cf from that .mc, compare it to your existing sendmail.cf,
and keep doing that until the test.cf and sendmail.cf are the same.

Kind regards,
-j
--
NP: silence