[Techtalk] Advise asked

Rudy L. Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Sun Mar 28 00:44:07 EST 2004

Hi all,

I am considering buying some 250G SATA drives (3 in a RAID5 config) for
multimedia backend storage.
This is going to be used to store interactively accessed MPEG2 video
files. They will be stored from at least 2 (on short notice 3) sources,
and read from 2 or 3 locations. In other words: storage backend for a
MythTV setup with 2 or 3 backends, and 2 or 3 frontends using a
combination of PVR-250 and PVR-350s.

The controller i am considering is the Promise SATA TX4.
kernel: 2.6.4 or later from kernel.org on a recent slackware-current distro.

Any experience, either with this controller, with SATA, with other
controllers, please share so I can make a better decision. I've
currently no real experience with SATA.

Regards,

Rudy