[Techtalk] Evil alternate screens in gnome-terminal

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sat Mar 27 22:38:41 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 07:05:13PM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Friday 26 March 2004 5:55 pm, Akkana Peck wrote:
> > I was fiddling with gnome-terminal today trying to solve a mutt
> > utf8 problem (long story), and was whining about gnome-terminal's
> > evil mandatory alternate screens. ?That's where you're reading a
> > man page, say, and you get to the place that describes exactly
> > what you were looking for, and you hit q so that you can try out
> > the command on the man page .-- and the man page vanishes and all
> > you see are the last few commands you typed. ?
>
> Well, 'q' means quit the man page, right? If you want to leave the man page
> open, open a new tab or terminal to run the commands in.

Yes, but that's what Akkana wants to avoid having to do.
Basically the idea is, that you look at the man page, and the contents
of the man page should stay on your terminal when you quit out of it,
so that the bit you were looking at is right there in your terminal,
and then you can just type the command at the prompt.