[Techtalk] Evil alternate screens in gnome-terminal

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Mar 26 20:05:13 EST 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 5:55 pm, Akkana Peck wrote:
> I was fiddling with gnome-terminal today trying to solve a mutt
> utf8 problem (long story), and was whining about gnome-terminal's
> evil mandatory alternate screens.  That's where you're reading a
> man page, say, and you get to the place that describes exactly
> what you were looking for, and you hit q so that you can try out
> the command on the man page .-- and the man page vanishes and all
> you see are the last few commands you typed.

Well, 'q' means quit the man page, right? If you want to leave the man page
open, open a new tab or terminal to run the commands in.

> The same problem makes
> it impossible to read the last page of any man entry, since that
> screen goes away if you don't have less prompt you.

I don't follow, I just hit the spacebar or page up/down to navigate man pages.
Works like a charm. When it gets to the bottom, it just sits there until I
hit page-up, no matter how many times I pound on the spacebar or page-down.

The rest of your post looks like a kewl hack, but I don't see the point...
what am I missing? Is this a Mutt thing, a gnome-terminal thing, or something
else entirely?