[Techtalk] Opinions on Intranet / Groupware / Forum software

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Wed Mar 24 18:40:57 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rasjid Wilcox" <rasjidw at openminddev.net>
> So I have MySource installed, and will look at the Zope/CMF combination.
> Perhaps Plone if I can work out how to make it look and behave how I want
it
> to be.

Plone is very customizable, but a lot of people don't because of all the
usability and accessibility features built into the default template.
However, you don't have to create your own templates to change the look of
Plone ... with Plone 2.0, they've introduced a table-less design that can be
thoroughly changed using CSS. I haven't seen Plone using any radically
different style sheets, but I suspect that you can do some pretty
interesting things without changing the HTML.  Look at
http://csszengarden.com to see how different you can make a page just using
CSS -- it's not a Plone page, but since Plone uses a table-less design, I
assume you can do something similar.

> I do want document versioning, but can probably live without it for a bit,
> particularly if it is turning up in a not-too-distant release.

There is also Silva, which is also based on Zope. I'm not very informed on
it, but from what I know it seems to be mostly for managing XML documents,
which can be rendered in different formats (including HTML, PDF, and Word).
I think it has versioning already.

Jen