[Techtalk] Trying to get octave to compile.

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Mar 20 10:17:59 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 06:13:46PM +1100 or thereabouts, Sue
Stones wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 04:22 pm, John Clarke wrote:
> > > So I downloaded and tried octave-2.1.50... Half a dozen
> > > more pacages downloaded and installed, and I all but
> > > destroyed the OS, as the packages
> >
> > Now I'm very sorry I suggested you try it.  I nearly
> > installed Redhat's octave rpm but now I'm glad I didn't ;-)
>
> Yes I would have felt bad if that had happened to you.  Looking

I dunno, he did suggest it, after all.. :)

> on the bright side, I wan never happy with the way I had
> partitioned that disk, so I took the oportunity to change it
> reducing the number of partions that I have.

Good grief. That is one heck of a way to count your blessings.
It's like saying "Oh well, backups will be faster now" after
deleting lots of important stuff by mistake :)

> > > Thaks so much for the help John, and also others.
> >
> > You're very welcome.  Sorry it's been such a long and painful
> > saga.
>
> But having someone to discuss things with makes it much less
> painfull.

I have been following the saga (and it is most definitely a
saga: all it needed was a blood feud and perhaps a shipwreck)
with fascination but have not had anything useful to offer.

I must say, reinstalling the entire system just to get a
package to work goes way above the call of duty. I wonder
whether the Octave people know about this problem.

Telsa