[Techtalk] Re: Gender as a weapon? Pen-testing and female auditors

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Mar 18 20:59:04 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004, Raven Alder wrote:
> Heya --
>
> Quoth Devdas Bhagat (Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:35:02PM +0530):
> > Perhaps neither? In the best case, it might expose the guy who fell
> > for your charms to a certain amount of ridicule, and that will
> > hopefully keep him from treating women as just another piece of meat
>
> 	Read my .sig line for the best quote ever to that effect, from
> my ex.  [grin]  It rocks.

The quote is awesome:

> "See what happens when you treat women like pieces of meat?
>  Kapow, your network's broken, and you're fired!"
>   -- RavenBlack, on using gender as a weapon during pen-testing

... but I'm generally a little reluctant to play the "haha idiot you
fell for my charms, now pay the price!" game. I've known more than one
person who thought it licenced oneupmanship: "well, she flirted with me
to get $X, so why isn't it OK to use my physical strength against her to
get $Y?"

An alternative reading would be "see what happens when you trust women?
Kapow, your network's broken, and you're fired!" Depends on the
situation of course. Any single anti-sexism tool can backfire: if we had
a guarenteed one, well, we'd be in a sexism-free world now.

-Mary

PS replies to this mail to issues at linuxchix.org ONLY, please.