[Techtalk] linuxchix lists and gpg

John Stoneham lyric.list.lc-techtalk at lyrically.net
Thu Mar 18 03:06:34 EST 2004

> >Why do the Linuxchix lists strip GPG multipart signatures?
> >
> >[-- Error: Inconsistent multipart/signed structure!  --]
> >
> Actually, John, the reason you're getting the Inconsistant notice from
> mutt is because of the following, which is attached by mailman AFTER you
> send your message, and therefore isn't signed along with your message.

This is verifiably not the case.

The message as delivered reads:

-- BEGIN
<many headers here>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:19:52 -0500
From: John Stoneham <lyric.list.lc-techtalk at lyrically.net>
To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
<more headers>

--===============036495388439790277==

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

Why do the Linuxchix lists strip GPG multipart signatures?

<snip>

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g--

--===============036495388439790277==--
-- END

No signature. In fact the LC signature is added as an additional text/plain
part to the MIME multipart message and thus wouldn't interfere with the
signed content at all, which is under the multipart/signed umbrella.

As an illustration, here's the diagram Mutt draws of the MIME structure of my