[Techtalk] Trying to get octave to compile.

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Thu Mar 18 13:46:28 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:17:47 +1100, Sue Stones wrote:

> Sorry, I remembered wrong, the other packages needed by octave were RPMs.

You included this in your earlier message:

> [sue at localhost octave-2.1.50]$ rpm -q readline
> readline-4.3-4mdk

That's why I thought you'd installed readline as an rpm.

> So when uncompressing a "tar.gz" what is a standard place to put things.  This

I usually build stuff in a temporary directory under $HOME and delete it
when I've finished.  It doesn't really matter where you do the build,
it's the installation path that's important.

You could install them in /usr/local (the default for most non-X
packages that use configure), or some people like /opt.  If you use
/usr/local, then they'll be probably in your $PATH and other packages
will probably find them automatically, but if you use /opt then you'll
have to add them to $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or /etc/ld.so.conf), and
you may have to pass extra switches to configure.

Some packages will have the option to build an rpm.  If so, do that and
install the rpm rather than running 'make install'.  This makes it
easier to update or remove the package, does dependency checking, helps
you keep track of what's installed, etc.

> > If you run updatedb each night (probably have a daily cron job in
> > /etc/cron.daily or /etc/crontab) you should be able to use 'locate
> > readline.h' to find all copies of readline.h.
>
> I've been doing this manually, but making it a cron job makes sence!

RH includes it in /etc/cron.daily, in the slocate rpm.

Cheers,

John
--
Well, "Gentle Reader" would exclude all of the posting Monks, then, and
if we do have any Gentle Readers here they probably have enough sense not