[Techtalk] Trying to get octave to compile.

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Thu Mar 18 13:17:47 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:55 am, John Clarke wrote:
> Where is readline.h?  Mine's in /usr/include/readline.
> On my RH7.3 systems, the readline libraries are in /usr/lib and headers
> in /usr/include/readline.  Later you say that you have a readline rpm
> installed, so you don't need to install readline manually.  You just
> need to install the readline-devel rpm to get the headers.

Sorry, I remembered wrong, the other packages needed by octave were RPMs.  But
readline and octave needed compiling.  I didn't know where to put things,
(which is mainly why I like RPMs) so I put the files in my user directory
when I uncompressed them.

So when uncompressing a "tar.gz" what is a standard place to put things.  This
is something that I am always perplexed by.  "where" is one of my strong
point, as in "I've forgotten where my back yard is" (a slight exageration by
me)  or "I literally took Sue half way around a block and she had no idea how
to get back"  (no exageration - said by my best friend at uni).

> If you run updatedb each night (probably have a daily cron job in
> /etc/cron.daily or /etc/crontab) you should be able to use 'locate
> readline.h' to find all copies of readline.h.

I've been doing this manually, but making it a cron job makes sence!

sue