[Techtalk] recording music CDs- batch conversions

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Wed Mar 10 07:33:27 EST 2004

> Help please with doing batch file conversions. I'm beating myself up with sox,
> if there is an easier way I'm all ears. Let's say I have a directory full
> of .au files that I want to record to a disk for any standard audio CD
> player. (Not a PC!)
>
> One file at a time is easy, as Alvin said in his post:
>
> $ sox soundfile.au filename.cdr
> $ sox filename.cdr filename.wav
>
> Well, a person could die of old age doing a lot of files this way. Any brainy
> notions?

The only way I found to that is this:

ls *.au > au.txt

load a spreadsheet and import au.txt

Insert a column and copy sox in all of the cells.

Copy the filename column and put it in the next cell.

edit the end of the filename to be .wav

It's still a bit of work, but lot's less typing... ;D

Then, insert a line at the top:

#!/bin/sh

and export to au.txt. Finally chmod au.txt:

chmod +x au.txt

and run  au.txt.

I have never found a way for sox to do a wildcard conversion. Maybe
someone could add that capability to sox????

Alvin