[Techtalk] Stupid DNS questions

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Mon Mar 8 12:11:07 EST 2004

Hi All,

I hate to show my ignorance, especially given that I've been running
DNS servers for a year or so.

Right now, I have two DNS servers (Bind 9) on a local network, and
they are both acting as masters, and a third remote DNS acting as a
slave to the primary DNS server.

I need to create a system where I can easily change DNS info (add
subdomains, change IPs) via a web interface (so multiple people can
have access to that - I'm assuming I'll use WebMin). The challenge
is, how to make sure all of the DNS info for all three servers is
updated properly.

I'm not exactly certain how slave DNS servers work, which is part of
my issue. RIght now, in order to change DNS info on the domains I'm
running DNS for, I update the respective db files and named.conf on
both servers. I'd like to do it only once. I could set up the second
DNS server on the local network to be a slave to the first, but I was
afraid if for some reason the first became unavailable, the second
would then not work, which is then besides the point (which also
makes me ponder the issue of the remote slave).

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for how to do this, I'm
happy to take them.

Thanks.
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain
mmurrain at dbdes dot com
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 ICQ:129250575
SMS: 4132226350 at messaging dot sprintpcs dot com

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been
hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." - Satchel Paige