[Techtalk] recording music CDs- batch conversions

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Tue Mar 9 17:24:48 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:17:57AM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:

> $ sox soundfile.au filename.cdr
> $ sox filename.cdr filename.wav
>
> Well, a person could die of old age doing a lot of files this way. Any brainy
> notions? I think something like this should work:
>
> $ for i in 'ls *.au';do echo -e "$i";sox $i.cdr;done

Almost, but not quite.  You need to remove the file extension before
adding '.cdr' and passing it to sox (split into multiple lines for
readability).  Try this:

    for i in `ls -1 *.au|cut -d. -f1`
    do
        echo $i
        sox $i.au $i.cdr
        sox $i.cdr $i.wav
    done

Cheers,

John
--
The neat thing about having a swiss-cheese memory like mine is that I can
read what I wrote a few months ago, and giggle at my own jokes.