[Techtalk] recording music CDs- batch conversions

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Mar 8 11:17:57 EST 2004

Help please with doing batch file conversions. I'm beating myself up with sox,
if there is an easier way I'm all ears. Let's say I have a directory full
of .au files that I want to record to a disk for any standard audio CD
player. (Not a PC!)

One file at a time is easy, as Alvin said in his post:

$ sox soundfile.au filename.cdr
$ sox filename.cdr filename.wav

Well, a person could die of old age doing a lot of files this way. Any brainy
notions? I think something like this should work:

$ for i in 'ls *.au';do echo -e "$i";sox $i.cdr;done

Does this make sense? I've not tested it yet, I still need to acquire some
sound files, preferably without going to prison, or having my system blown up
by Jack Valenti. :P
--
Carla Schroder