[Techtalk] simple mail filtering via whitelist - suggestions?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sun Mar 7 19:22:12 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:00:10PM -0800, Kai MacTane wrote:
> At 3/5/04 03:58 PM , Travis Casey wrote:
> >What I'd like to do is create a "whitelist" of approved senders, and let
> >mail from them go on to her.  Anything from someone else would be
> >redirected to me.
>
> For a 5-year-old, this sounds pretty reasonable. Especially given some of
> the stuff that's out there. Have you looked into TMDA?  I suspect it's very

You know, you people are evil.  Or maybe I'm just very suggestible.
I decided to check out TMDA, and since I'm on a Debian system, the
easiest way to do that seemed to be to install it and then look at the
docs.

Six hours later, I've got my "mailing list" email address set up to use
TMDA, complete with whitelist and auto-confirmation.
And I didn't have lunch either.

One bit of trouble I ran into, though: I use Postfix for my email, and
it says (and even postfix says) that it can change the special delimiter
character in email addresses by setting the "recipient_delimiter"
variable in main.cf ... well, I set it, but it didn't make any
difference; it didn't recognise "-" as the delimiter.

Oh.  I just looked at the file again.  The durn thing was set in two
places in the file, and I'd only changed the first one.  Okay, I will
now go away and try again.  And then maybe I can have dinner.
No, actually, I can't change it, because various confirm mails have
already gone out, and they would bounce if it was changed. (sigh)