[Techtalk] monitor cycling on & off

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Jun 26 12:58:06 EST 2004

gab writes:
> though it's almost a decade old.  Recently, it's starting cycling on &
> off instead of going into sleep mode. This is going to kill the monitor

Probably not related, but a few weeks ago my (newish LCD) monitor
suddenly went wonky and started cycling between normal and sleep
mode every few seconds.

It turned out that the problem was the KVM between it and the
computer; and it also turned out that this was an intentional
behavior of the KVM.  I'd accidentally hit a key that put it into
"scan mode" where it scanned between my running computer and the
one that was off (hence the sleep mode).  Power cycling made
the problem go away (of course, getting the KVM out of scan mode
also would have fixed it, but I didn't realize there was such an
option until days later).

	...Akkana