Ogg player (was Re: [Techtalk] iPod with Linux - and gtk+-2.0)

Gretchen at gretchenann.com Gretchen at gretchenann.com
Mon Jun 21 09:56:21 EST 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 08:01:10AM +1000 or thereabouts, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> > The iPod doesn't natively understand ogg.  (There are hacks to make it
> > work, but I haven't tried them and I have hear it is really slow.)
>
> Are there any iPod-equivalent players out there that *do* understand
> ogg?

You will want to check out the Neuros (http://wwwneurosaudio.com) It has
some great features that the iPod doesn't, like a built in FM
transmitter for playing audio through your car radio.  It comes in
different sizes, and you can get what they call a 'bundle' which is a
128 MB player with a 20GB, 30GB, or 40GB backpack hard drive.  I think
that's a great idea cause you can only use the flash part if you're
moving around and not worry about the Hard Drive.

Also, there is the Rio Karma 20, which not only plays ogg, but also
flac, if you're one of those intense quality people.  :-)  The Karma
also has an ethernet connection, which as I understand it, works pretty
well with any operating system.

Both of these players have forums for user support and people have used
them with Linux.

Gretchen