[Techtalk] PGP signing mail

jm jack at endofhistory.com
Mon Jun 7 10:57:18 EST 2004

> I have a couple of friends who routinely sign and/or encrypt their
> private email. I try to reciprocate when mailing them. Generally
> I just hit the relevant commands on finishing the mail. But I am
> sure it should be possible to say "always encrypt mail going to
> this address" using Mutt and send-hooks.

Here's an example from my home .muttrc...

# as default, sign all email:
send-hook . set pgp_autosign
# do not sign email to certain friend
send-hook elaine set nopgp_autosign
# end send-hooks

To do the reverse, as you would like (default to not signing mail,
and only signing mail to specified recipients) just swap the "set"
commands. Just make sure (as for any *-hook directive) to set a
default rule first.

-jm