[Techtalk] PGP signing mail

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jun 7 09:01:09 EST 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 12:12:18AM -0400 or thereabouts, Teri Solow wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 10:28:20AM -0700, jm said:
> > Signing work email involves a considerable amount of user-education
> > and is hard w/o a supportive infrastructure (i.e., everyone using a
> > good email client, etc). But if you do want to sign all your work
> Anyway, I'm relatively sure that there is at least a subset of people
> I will email at work who won't freak out if they recieve signed mail;
> and coincidentally all the mail from the other people goes into a
> separate mailbox so I can simply not sign it with a folder hook.  I'll
> probably try it though, and see what happens/who yells at me.  :)

I notice from your headers that you are using Mutt:

  From: Teri Solow <tsolow at terisolow.com>
  To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
  Subject: Re: [Techtalk] PGP siging mail

I haven't really got into this yet, despite using Mutt for a
long time. But it is possible to set send-hooks. You can say
that when mailing specific addresses, mutt should do specific
things: change your Reply-To, append a specific .signature,
and so on.

  3.17.  Change settings based upon message recipients

  Usage: send-hook [!]pattern command

  This command can be used to execute arbitrary configuration commands
  based upon recipients of the message.  pattern is a regular expression
  matching the desired address.  command is executed when regexp matches
  recipients of the message. [...]

  Example: send-hook mutt "set mime_forward signature=''"

I have a couple of friends who routinely sign and/or encrypt their
private email. I try to reciprocate when mailing them. Generally
I just hit the relevant commands on finishing the mail. But I am
sure it should be possible to say "always encrypt mail going to
this address" using Mutt and send-hooks.

I would figure it out, except that it has just occurred to me
that someone on techtalk has probably done so already. If they
have, then we can both borrow it :)

Any offers?

Telsa