[Techtalk] EFF seeks syadmin (slightly off topic)

Annalee Newitz brainsploitation at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 15:29:55 EST 2004

Hi chix. My employer, the Electronic Frontier
Foundation, is seeking a good sysadmin who can also
deal with doing lots of support for lawyers and
writers and such. Deadline for apps is soon! Please
apply! But please do NOT circulate this off the list.
Here's the want ad:

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), an Internet
civil liberties
nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, is
seeking a full-time
Lead System Administrator to support office staff,
servers, network
and various systems required by the EFF.

This position would be the primary person on call 24x7
for response
to systems alerts.  The EFF does have a number of
staff that can
supply backup to the on call person for vacation, sick
days, etc.

The candidate must meet or exceed Sage level
"Intermediate/Advanced"
(see:
http://sageweb.sage.org/jobs/thefield/jobs-descriptions.html#Intermediate).

A successful candidate will be able to administer a
wide variety
of different operating systems such as Windows (2K,
XP, etc.), MacOS
X, Unix (Linux and *BSD).  Since this position
requires desktop
support, knowledge of applications such as MS Office,
various email
clients, servers such as apache, mailman, qmail and/or
postfix, and
anti-spam and virus products like spam assassin will
be required.
This person should be able to write scripts in
languages such as
PHP, Perl, Python, etc and debug and program in C.
This position
will require strong skill in network and system
security.

We expect that this person will have the background to
develop new
systems and maintain the current systems (ie. backup).

We also require that the candidate be strong in
developing and
maintenance of documentation on EFF's systems.

As the staff is a mix of skill sets and discipline we
require that
the candidate have strong human skills such as being
personable.

The successful candidate would also initiate and drive
projects to
completion.

Required background:

Three to five years systems administration experience.

To apply, send a cover letter and your resume to
sysdaminjob at eff.org
no later than June 15, 2004. We request that you send
these materials
in a non-proprietary format, such as an ASCII text
file. No phone
calls please!  Principals only.

=====
Annalee Newitz