[Techtalk] Performance metrics for email processing

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue Jul 13 13:49:29 EST 2004

At 7/13/04 01:41 PM , Terri Oda wrote:

>A simple "filter A took X minutes, filter B took Y minutes... for Z
>messages." is all I have in mind at the moment, but what other metrics are
>useful when it comes to email processing?

False-positive and false-negative rate come to mind, if you have a clear
definition of what those would mean. (Or just "error rate", if the
processing is something more complex than a yes/no (i.e., "spam/ham") answer.)

You might also want to record the CPU load before, during and after testing.

                                                 --Kai MacTane