[Techtalk] UML hosting providers

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sun Jul 4 13:08:59 EST 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 22:46, Mary wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2004, James wrote:
> > For the last couple of months, two friends and I have been sharing a
> > Linode virtual server - www.linode.com. Their entry level, Linode 64,
> > gives you 64Mb of RAM, 3Gb of diskspace and 25Gb of traffic, all for
> > US$20/month (plus $10 setup).
>
> It's a pretty good deal.
>
> I've decided to go with Redwood Virtual's $20 plan: 128MB RAM, 4GB
> diskspace 20GB bandwidth for the moment (happy to trade lower bandwidth
> for more disk space) -- I'll follow up if I have any comments to make.

Mary, I would be very interested to hear your comments on Redwood after using
them for a bit.

I'm currently with Linode.  My main reason for choosing Linode is the ability
to have multiple distributions installed at the one time.  In particular, I
have a 'rescue' distribution which means that if something breaks bigtime, I
can boot into the rescue distro, mount the partitions of my normal server,
and (hopefully) fix things.  Just like Knoppix, only remotely.

The downside is that Linode is more expensive than Redwood.  I'm currently
paying USD$30 per month for 96MB Ram, but I think my system would be happier
with 128MB - but that is USD$40, which is just getting a bit more than I want
to pay at the moment.

The main things I would be interested in knowing about the Redwood setup are:
* system load (there are times when my Linode's load has high peaks even when
my virtual machine is not doing anything)
* system rescue
* general level of support from Redwood

Cheers,

Rasjid.