Configuring sendmail and/or emacs (Re: [Techtalk] Can't send mail from emacs)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Jan 22 10:30:03 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004, David Sumbler wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Mary wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 21, 2004, David Sumbler wrote:
> > > I tried telnet localhost, and it tells me "connection refused".
> >
> > Try "telnet localhost 25" to telnet to port 25. Telnet connects to port
> > 22 by default.
>
> This gives me:
>
> 220 ceres.staly.plus.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8;
>
> and the time and date.

OK, you're using the program called Sendmail on your localhost.

So is there anyone out there who can help David configure Sendmail? It
sounds like he needs a few things:

 1. For sendmail to accept localhost mail with an invalid envelope
 sender.
 2. For sendmail to rewrite that envelope sender to a valid address.
 3. (Maybe) for sendmail to pass the mail on to his mail relay.

Alternatively, are there any emacs users who can help with the
following:

 1. Configuring emacs to set a valid envelope sender address
 2. Configuring emacs to use a mail relay that isn't localhost

Either way should work.

-Mary