[Techtalk] Dual-boot machine (was re An Introduction)

Tracey Clark grrliegeek at elenari.net
Tue Jan 13 10:56:58 EST 2004

And it was said by Finne Boonen-->
> it pays off to think deeply about wich file system type your going to
> use in this case.
>
> I would recommend
> -> journalling file system as they need less checking at
> boot time
>
> -> ext3 as you can access your files on the linux partitions with
> explore2fs, I don't know wether other such tools exist for other file
> systems.

The one drawback to this approach is that you can't write to an ext3
partition easily within Windows. I've used this myself. You can read from
your ext3 partition, and copy files to a native Windows partition if you
want to edit them. You cannot edit files directly on your ext3 partition
that I know of. A FAT32 partition allows both operating systems to read &
write to the partition.

--
Tracey
Linux Counter #264789

"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely
unintentional side effect." - Linus Torvalds, New York Times, 28 Sept 03