[Techtalk] IMAP won't authenticate root

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 12 22:55:35 EST 2004

Aaron Malone wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:39:28 -0600
> Julie <txjulie at austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I recently decided to set up an IMAP server.  I'm trying to read
>>root's mail using IMAP and I always get authentication failures.
>>I've tried all sorts of things, but still no luck.
>>
>>Clues?
>

> 1) What IMAP server are you using?

I dunno.  The RPM says it's imap-2001a-18.

> 2) Are there any interesting authentication settings that you're using
> (e.g. SASL, CRAM-MD5, etc)

I wouldn't know an interesting authentication setting if it bit
me on the backside.  The imapd manpage is less than helpful.  The
message produced imapd when I connect to it is

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN]
localhost.localdomain IMAP4rev1 2001.315rh at Mon,

Does that tell you anything useful?

> 3) Do the logs say anything?

Nothing useful.  More in a moment.

> 4) Is root *allowed* to authenticate?  Many mail systems will not allow
> root for security reasons.  Have you tried another user?

It's =my= system and I want to allow root!

When I chat with the IMAP daemon by hand, I can say

server LOGIN jfh <my password>

and I get authenticated.

When I say

server LOGIN root <root password>

I get told to go away --

server NO LOGIN failed

And yes, it allows other users just fine.  I looked at the PAM
output for the authentication attempt and PAM seems to pass all
of the steps for authenticating, setting credentials, etc.  But
then it just ... fails.

If I give it the correct password all of the PAM log messages
say that the authentication was successful.  If I give it the
wrong password the PAM messages say authentication failed.  But
in both cases, no authentication.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.