[Techtalk] Soldering irons (OT?)

Elena Bevell elena.bevell at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 12 20:16:17 EST 2004

On Sunday 11 January 2004 03:54 am, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> Ever since my early teens I wanted a soldering iron.  But neither my
> grandmother (who I grew up with) nor my mother and step-father were really
> into such things, and so I never had one.
>
> Well, I'm now in my 30s and, damit, I'm going to get myself one.  And some
> electronic components to play with.

That sentiment really resonates with me.
Good for you.

> I've been to Dick Smith's electronics
>
> And can anyone suggest a good book for teaching myself stuff.  I have a
> degree in Maths and did one year of physics, so something at intermediate
> level that ideally briefly covers the basics would be good.  Either online
> references or books.

Dick Smith Electronics may have some books.

About 20 years ago Dick Smith sent me a catalog for some reason,
and I ordered a bunch of "Fun Way into Electronics" kits from the catalog.
These were books and a bag of the appropriate electronic parts - designed for
kids but with some explanation of why the projects worked.
I really liked those - and now I'm disappointed that I can't seem to get
them in the US anymore without navigating international money exchange.
But since you are in Dick Smith country, that might be something to look into.

Elena