[Techtalk] Soldering irons (OT?)

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sun Jan 11 23:54:26 EST 2004

Ever since my early teens I wanted a soldering iron.  But neither my
grandmother (who I grew up with) nor my mother and step-father were really
into such things, and so I never had one.

Well, I'm now in my 30s and, damit, I'm going to get myself one.  And some
electronic components to play with.  (And an Xbox to put Linux on - which
requires a soldering iron if you want to flash the bios and run it
exclusively as a Linux server.)

I've been to Dick Smith's electronics, and my question is:
Do I get a 25 watt soldering iron, or a 40 watt?  Particularly with things
like linking the jumpers required to flash the bios on a Xbox, it is not
clear to me that 'bigger is better'.  Or do I get both?

And on a similar vein, muti-meters.  There were some cheap ones (under AUD$50)
and there were quite a few expensive ones (over AUD$100).  I'm currently
assuming that a cheap one is fine for learning with, but is it worth
investing in a good one?

And can anyone suggest a good book for teaching myself stuff.  I have a degree
in Maths and did one year of physics, so something at intermediate level that
ideally briefly covers the basics would be good.  Either online references or
books.

Mostly I'm interested in playing around with stuff.  I'd like to make a
home-made home security system (hey, Linux on an XBox could work here too!),
and do a little home automation (turn on the watering system etc).

Cheers,

Rasjid.

* My appologies about the frequent Xbox references, but I just got one for
AUD$228 to put Linux on, and really, it seems to me such a cheap way of
getting a very quiet low-powered linux box.  I hope that all the info on the
xbox-linux site works as expected.

--
Rasjid Wilcox
Canberra, Australia (UTC +11 hrs)