[Techtalk] Somewhat OT: Fiberoptic networking HOWTO?

Charlotte Oliver aeris at nevvers.net
Fri Feb 27 18:17:11 EST 2004

Heya folks --

This is a networking question, not a Linux question.

I am in the position at work of getting to design a network for a new
building that my office will be moving into.  We will have several IDF
closets that will be connected to one another via fiberoptics.

I'm researching switches to buy and am running into confusion because
I've never had to recommend equipment that could handle fiberoptics.

I've been looking for a good HOWTO that could explain some of the
following questions:

How are SFP\GBIC\miniGBIC ports different?  Which one do I need?
SFP seems to require a transciever for fiber-optics.  Why?  Is it
converting a signal?  Is it true that it can use Cat5?
Which fiber is rated to which distance?  How fast does it really
transmit at?
What's multimode about?
What type of cable do I need where?

I think I know the answers to these, but would love a guide explaining
it all -- does anyone have any recommendations?  Books are good too,
since they'd be on the company!

Thanks,
Charlotte