[Techtalk] setting up POP3 over SSL

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat Feb 21 10:46:13 EST 2004

On Saturday 21 February 2004 07:10, Katie Bechtold wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a POP3 server to tunnel over SSL, and I'm
> having some trouble with it.  This is a Debian system with stunnel
> 3.22-1 installed, and qmail-smtpd, qmail-send, and qmail-pop3d
> installed as described in www.lifewithqmail.org.

Katie,

I can't really help you directly, but am about half way through translating
the Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO
(http://www.delouw.ch/linux/Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO/html/index.html)
into a form that works for Debian-Sarge/Testing, and have just finished the
Postfix/Cyrus-Imap part including the TLS/SSL setup.

Unfortunately regarding SSL, I have just followed the existing HOWTO with
minor modifications that 'seem right' for the Debian setup.  I understand the
basic concepts behind SSL, but I don't know openssl/stunnel well enough to be
able to offer any advice for your situation. Sorry.

I have used qmail a lot (although not on Debian) and it has some distinct
limitations (although it does have good points too).  Can I ask why you have
chosen qmail rather than postfix?

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--