[Techtalk] RHEL/SLES/SLOX

Nicoya Helm nhelm2 at kumc.edu
Wed Feb 18 13:08:06 EST 2004

We are facing a somewhat similar situation where I work, although for
slightly different reasons.  We have been a Novell shop for eons, and
hope to have more leverage with regard to bulk pricing and support by
going with Suse.

 I'm implementing a RH 2.1 ES server right now, which was spec'd and
purchased prior to the Novell-Suse deal.  So far I haven't run into
anything unfamiliar.  To me it is just a sleeker, more compact distro,
definitely server oriented.  That's nice because you don't have to spend
as much time weeding out unnecessary apps when choosing packages to
install.  Other than that, I haven't noticed anything terribly different
from working w/ 7.x on up.

I haven't had much of a chance to compare installation automation
techniques between the two distros, but if you're dealing with more than
a couple of systems, I think that's always a factor to keep in mind.

~~~Nicoya...

>>> Gina Lanik <geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at> 2/17/2004 12:04:51 PM >>>
Hi,

with official support/bug fixes ending for RH9.0 and new projects
coming in
at work I'm currently pondering two things, if you have any input on
this
it would be greatly appreciated:

First one:

Our linux server farm runs on RedHat exclusively at the moment and
we're
considering moving to either Suse Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) or
RedHat
Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for the boxen we need certification for (a
couple
of Oracle installations and the machines which will participate in the
SAN
environment I'm currently building). Pros/Cons WRT either? Suggestions
what
to run on the other boxen we don't need certification for? We
basically
have everything from backup server to domain controller, file servers,
etc.
I personally would love to run Debian on all boxen but alas, no
certification and we don't want to run multiple distros in our
environment.

Second one:

We've been looking for groupware server implementations (preferably
Open
Source) for quite some time now and stumbled across Suse Linux Open
Exchange server (SLOX for short) a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone
here
already have experience with it?

Thanx in advance for your input!

Cheers,

Gina
--
Gina Lanik                      :: LinuxChix member
SysAdmin & DBA                  :: http://www.linuxchix.org/