[Techtalk] Re: firewalls

Elena Lean elena.lean at u4eatech.com
Tue Feb 17 00:22:48 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:21:20PM -0500, WeeBit wrote:
> I installed a firewall I guess you call it a helper firewall on Linux.  The name of it is GuardDog.  I am happy to report I am stealthed.  However,  I am so well stealthed to where I can't send DCCs  (lol)  Any ideas anyone?  Everything else is fine.  I will check into the chkconfig later on today.

Cool, I understand that GuardDog is a utility for configuration of iptables, so I guess you should be able to see the rules that have been loaded by doing 'iptables -L -v' for example. You might have some clue in what actually has been loaded.

> I do have another question though on another topic too...
>
> On my Windows box I have certain websites blocked is their a way to block these websites on Linux?   I am running Mandrake 9.1 on KDE 3.1

If you want to manage this sort of thing effectively, I think a proxy server like squid could help, or you can create rules for it in the firewall, since you are on the rolling ball of security today anyway :).