[Techtalk] Re: Email Headers

Berenice Chong showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 16:45:11 EST 2004

Thanks. I was poking around last night for a DNS lookup command and
didn't know it was called "dig" :D  I ended up using traceroute to
get the domain names but when I tried it for 203.51.210.51, it only
displayed asterisks (as opposed to yahoo, which didn't - bearing in
mind that yahoo has a number of addresses) Why do some IP addresses
do this?

Berenice

On Wed, Feb 4, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

$ dig -x 203.51.210.251

;; ANSWER SECTION:
251.210.51.203.in-addr.arpa. 39066 IN   PTR
CPE-203-51-210-251.qld.bigpond.net.au.

So it was sent from someone connected to a bigpond account in
Queensland, *not* from yahoo.com as spoofed by the virus (during the
HELO or EHLO part of the smtp transaction).

You could also point people to some anit-virus page that mentions how

the virus in question does spoof the sender.