[Techtalk] adding second hard drive

Angelina Carlton brat at magma.ca
Wed Feb 4 23:16:17 EST 2004

Hello everyone,

I am having some problems adding a second ide drive to my Debian pc.

/dev/hda is the first drive

I installed the second one (a windows formatted drive)
as a slave on the same cable as /dev/hda, but with the jumper
set to slave.

When I boot up, the bios recognizes the drive, it lists
2 drives, maxtor 60gb (debian linux)
and then it reports : found primary slave
fujitsu 4gb

So I think it is physically attached correctly, or the bios wouldnt see
it, is this a safe assumption?

Then linux starts to boot, but lilo hangs at:LIL

so i then put my Debian cdrom in, and used:rescue root=/dev/hda2

I got a shell and ran /sbin/lilo

then rebooted, but got the same lilo freeze: LIL

I havent ever tried to add new hardware to an existing linux
computer so I dont now if I am doing this the right way
or not! Any help would be great..

thanks

aec