[Techtalk] Mailing list or what???

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 02:12:15 EST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:51:16 +0000, Telsa Gwynne
<hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 11:51:31PM +1100 or thereabouts, Sue Stones wrote:
> > I am writing a website that will send out individual emails to people
> > (along the lines of BirthdayAlarm.com).  I have a ssumed that the way to
> > do this is to use a mailing list.  But suddenly I am uncertain.  Is a
> > mailing list just for sending the same message to lots of people?

yes, as well as allowing people to respond to the list without knowing
everybody on it.
What a mailinglist typically does is send mails to a group of people,
accept replies for the group of people and send those on to the group
of people.

What you're trying to do sounds like a mailing list whit a lot of
people, but only a limited number of people who are allowed to post.

So you might go with the mailing list, or iwth a script to send the
same email to a whole list of people.

I think the mailinglist would be easier, if you put it on approved
posters only/moderated or such

Finne