[Techtalk] Mailing list or what???

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Dec 15 00:51:16 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 11:51:31PM +1100 or thereabouts, Sue Stones wrote:
> I am writing a website that will send out individual emails to people
> (along the lines of BirthdayAlarm.com).  I have a ssumed that the way to
> do this is to use a mailing list.  But suddenly I am uncertain.  Is a
> mailing list just for sending the same message to lots of people?

Yes.

At least, I have never come across any other arrangement which calls
itself a mailing list.

> If a mailing list is not what I want, what do I want?

Well, you want something that sends emails, I imagine. I'm not
trying to be funny there, but without a clearer idea of what that
site does (it is ridiculously slow; too many graphics and no
obvious 'what this site does' explanation), it's hard to be
more specific.

How are you writing the site? How to send emails will depend on
the scripting language (or whatever) which you are using. And what
exactly are you trying to do?

Telsa