[Techtalk] Nforce A7N8X motherboard forgets clock multiplier on reboot

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sun Dec 5 14:29:15 EST 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> I do not have a real anwer for you. I *can* relate to your feeling,
> having recently had a system with a broken mobo.
> From your description i get some suspicions:
> - you are using this one in a server
> - you have several computers in use
> - this mobo might work correctly is not in use 24/7 (it reminds me of an
> infamous IBM disk)
>
> So could you exchange motherboards with a system that is used only
> during the day? I know its a hassle, but might be a workaround.

Possibly, but we did get it partly for the reason that it has two NICs.
I'd need to buy another for the new motherboard on that machine.

> Alternatively, check whether you are running the latest BIOS on it.

I'm probably not, but some of the google hits for the error message show
that BIOS upgrades cause exactly the same problem and that questions
about it have a lot of "HAHAHA you upgraded the BIOS, that's what
happens" responses, so I'm leery of trying it.

> Question: Is it losing only this BIOS setting or all settings? Can be
> checked by changing a non-vital setting and checking on next occurance
> of the problem

I'll let you know.

-Mary