[Techtalk] backup - tar

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Mon Aug 30 15:41:51 EST 2004

One comment I have to put in about using dump and restore is that it
doens't work on all file systems.  Definately ext2, definately "not"
ReiserFS (3).  Not sure about other Linux supported file systems -
although I see no reason why ext3 wouldn't work as well.  But you have
to have a dump and restore specific to the file system type available.

Laura

Disclaimer: yes, I know that there is a dump and restore for reiserFS,
but I never got it working when I was playing with it ~ 2 yrs ago. I'm
waiting for the tar/dump to DVD :)