[Techtalk] backup - tar

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Mon Aug 30 12:04:20 EST 2004

Hi there,

I am using tar to backup, and I am really frustrated with it.  It keeps
going through a dozen or so files, and then quitting with no
explanation.  It does this no matter which files I try to backup.  The
command I use is:

nohup tar -czvf /dev/nst0 --atime-preserve /home > /tmp/backup &

Is there another way to backup on linux?  On the mac system we use
retrospect, which works so nicely.  Granted, we pay a lot of money for
it to work so nicely, but at this point I'm willing to spend money to
get something to work consistently on linux.  Has anyone else had
problems with tar and figured out a way to deal with it, or have
recommendations on what other backup software is truly dependable for linux?

thanks,
maria