[Techtalk] Up to date MIME Type list

James jas at spamcop.net
Wed Apr 28 02:06:43 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:13:26 -0500, <linda at meridian-ds.com> wrote:

> Hi Chix.
>
> Someone on another LC list suggested I try the TechTalk list with this
> question.
>
> I'm looking for a good, up to date list of MIME types.  I'm trying to
> choke
> down what can go through a mailing list, while still letting plain old
> text
> files through.
>
> As you're all too aware, a batch of the current virii say they have a
> .txt
> extension.  I don't even know what their MIME type actually is, or if
> it's
> spoofed.  If someone knows of a good site to go read, I'd really
> appreciate
> a link.  I've been trying to wade through the RFCs, but they're a bit
> obscure when there's a client breathing down your neck and the phone is
> ringing and the support tickets are coming in and....you get the idea.

The mime.types file in Apache seems like a good place to start:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/docs/conf/mime.types?rev=1.24&view=auto

Apparently IANA maintains a registry of types; there's a copy here, but
it's rather old (Oct 2001):

http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types

The current version's here, but in a less convenient (IMHO) form:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/index.html

James.