[Techtalk] reading .gz files

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Apr 22 08:42:49 EST 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004, Kathryn Hogg wrote:
> When I access a compressed file in Firefox, the default handler is some
> tool called "File Roller" can allow you to display the file.  I presume it
> will handle .tar.gz in a reasonable manner.

File Roller (it's file-roller from the command line) is something like a
Gnome version of WinZip. It works OK on both tar.gz (it opens a dialog
showing all the files) and .gz (it opens a dialog showing the single
file that was gzipped).

You can then double-click on the file to open it in the default GNOME
viewer, or right click and choosing "Open..." to get a list of options.

File Roller would be fine if you're OK with the clicking.

I had a look at Yelp (the GNOME help thing) but it seems to only have
the man pages for most programs -- not the /usr/share/doc/ files.

-Mary