[Techtalk] Linux accounting program

Victoria A Smith newmama at zianet.com
Sat Apr 17 13:07:53 EST 2004

Carla Schroder wrote:

 > Ok my little gurus, it's time I weaned myself away from Quicken. It's
 > a nice program, but I'm like so totally bored with having to fire up
 > the windoze box. Anyone have thoughts on a home finances program for
 > Linux? I have a good
[...]

I weaned from Quicken to gnucash without trouble a couple of years ago.
I looked at Moneydance but decided it was more likely to go away than
gnucash.

I had a complex Quicken setup, and I didn't have the patience to export
from Quicken to gnucash, so I did start over.  I actually ran in
parallel for about 3 months to make sure I didn't screw up.

I've been real happy with gnucash; it doesn't seem to have the yearly
bloat I was seeing in Quicken.  It easily imports banking files, and
it is easy to write your own reports.  Also easy to backup your files
with a scp to some other system.  It's fall-back mechanism is good
as well.

Victoria