[Techtalk] Wireless networking - OT

Piglet listpig at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 09:02:54 EST 2004

I don't have any answers, but a verification that yeah, that one's a
bear---if you've got someone in the neighborhood who's running a wireless
network wide open, it seems to be a real problem to keep an XP box from
landing on their network instead of yours---we've had that issue with a
couple of machines on our network as well.  We're running a mixed
Linux/Win98/WinXPHome/OS X network, and only the XP Home machines seem to
run into that--the Mac will note on occasion that it has multiple choices of
networks available (detecting the neighbor), but it groks which one it's
supposed to be on and doesn't go network hopping.  XP Home *seems* to
approach it more as "I'm going with the strongest connection I find---or my
connection of choice---and it's none of your business which network I opt to
be on as long as I get you online."

Dunno if there's a tweak for that we don't know, or just another
manifestation of Microsoft's "we know what you need better than you do, you
don't need to be able to choose" philosophy, which all of us who use
MSOffice are well aware exists. :)

--pig

On 4/13/04 08:10, betjohns at shaw.ca shared this thought: