[Techtalk] Wireless networking - OT

Betty Johnson betjohns at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 13 07:10:28 EST 2004

I am having a rather puzzling time with trying to set up a wireless
network.

First they are all Windows machines and that is why I am putting OT in
subject. Linux is not an option. One machine is XP Pro, the other 2 are
XP Home.

This is the setup/scenario.

Wireless router attached by cable to Pro machine. Pro machine picks up 2
IP addresses, one for wired link and one for wireless. No firewall set up
for network yet. No internet connection yet. No WEP configured yet.

Both Home machines pick up IP address. All 3 machines can ping back and
forth.

Pro machine can browse to all machines in My Network Places. Cannot browse
from either Home machine. Installed Netbeui on both Home machines.
Network now working as planned.

Go to set up WEP.

Router is showing other machines in area picking up IP address from
router, so I powered off the router and reset.

Turned on the router. Set up WEP. Now machines not picking up IP address
from router on wireless network. Change channel for SSID.

Now only 2 machines of 3 are picking up IP address from router and the 3rd
is picking up from another wireless network in the neighbourhood. I keep
telling it not to connect and it does. It even updated virus definitions
and this place does not have Internet yet.

What should I do now to get this Lan working? Change SSID again? I am
really tired of beating my head against a brick wall. Thanks to all
suggestions.
--
Kernel version 2.4.21-0.13mdk, at  06:59:32 up 72 days,  7:20,  2 users,
load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00