[Techtalk] Problem's mounting a window's filesystem?

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Thu Sep 25 19:04:46 EST 2003

> Right.  There are different formats, but as far as i can remember they
> aren't specific to the OS and they have more to do with filenames.  "A
> buncha files on a CD" should be "a buncha files on a CD" regardless of who's
> reading it.
>
> Of course, I also could be wrong. :P

Take a look at the formats available from mkisofs and mkhybrid:

ISO-9660 (standard CD)
Joliet
HFS (Macintosh)
hybrid (music and data mixed format CD)

In addition, there's "DirectCD" which is packet writen, created in
winderz, with a read-only module for Linux (writing is still
experimental).

I've found that hybrid CD's often have to be mounted explicitly (Tatu's
200km/h disk):

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

HFS format has to be mounted (MAC only and mixed MAC/PC disks):

mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

and the packet/direct CD format needs the UDF filesystem module compiled
and added to your modules (download from the internet),
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules modified (Slackware, I don't know what it would be
for RH and others) to have:

/sbin/modprobe udf

added, and then you can:

mount -t udf /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

I don't know about Joliet as I don't have such a disk and I don't plan
on making one.

As for winderz.... udf packet, mixed media and iso9660 with Rock Ridge
extensions should be the "normal" formats you'll find.

Alvin