[Techtalk] Problem's mounting a window's filesystem?

Stratis Aftousmis stratus at ccsi.com
Thu Sep 25 10:39:00 EST 2003

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:20:28 -0500 (CDT)
> "Stratis Aftousmis" <stratus at ccsi.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello! I have a bunch of '.bmp' file's on a cdrw disk that was burned
>> in window's (FAT32). I tryed mounting it, it mounted fine, i then
>> proceeded
>
> erm its my understanding that CDs have their own filesystem. Therefore
> your CD will not be fat32, it will just contain files copied off a fat32
> drive.

I didn't know that. I thought if you burned a cd in window's, and the
filesystem was FAT32, it would be like making a ISO image before buring a
cd in Linux.

>> I hope that's enough information for a diagnosis, and any help
>> would appreaciated!
>
> To a cleverer person than me it might be, but I'd be interested in
> learning
>
> 1. Which linux distribution do you use? Version?
> 2. What was the exact command you used to mount the cd?

I use Slackware 8.1, kernel 2.4.18
the command i used the first time:

mount $cdrw && cd /mnt/cdrom && ls

after:

mount -r $cdrw && cd /mnt/cdrom && ls

> The one reason I can think of that would explain the problems is that
> the CD drive on your linux machine has problems reading the CDRW that
> was created by a different drive.

Hmmm, no, the burner i used to create the cdrw is the same i used to read
the cdrw. I *hope* that answer's all your question's.

stratis.

--
http://ccsi.com/~stratus
stratus at ccsi.com

"What is complex to one, is not to another."
~In the beginning there was the command line: by Neal Stephenson