[Techtalk] Upgrading to kernel 2.6-test4 mouse problem

Rudy L. Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Thu Sep 25 12:53:24 EST 2003

Bud wrote:

>Hi Rudy,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. Actually we were using a precompiled kernel that was
>available in Debian SID.
>
> Can you send me some info on your /etc/fstab so I can see if there is some
>new devfs that makes it all work. We tried adding a devfs entry but that
>didnt seem to work (it did mount the dev but  lot of devices were still
>missing) I would have expected devfs to be mounted in the initrd that came
>wirth the kernel so devices can eb detected early on. I think if you later
>mount devfs you dont get all the devices?

 From my slackware desktop (2.6.0-test4):

/dev/sdb3        swap             swap        defaults         0   0
/dev/sdb1        /                reiserfs    defaults         1   1
/dev/sdb2        /usr/src         reiserfs    defaults         1   2
/dev/sdb5        /tmp             reiserfs    defaults         1   2
/dev/sdb6        /var/log         reiserfs    defaults         1   2
/dev/sdb7        /home            reiserfs    defaults         1   2

/dev/hda1        /data/local/workspace0 reiserfs    defaults         1   2

/dev/md0         /data/local/workspace1 reiserfs    defaults         1   2
/dev/hdc         /mnt/cdrom       iso9660     user,unhide,noauto,owner,ro  0   0
/dev/scd0        /mnt/dvd         iso9660     user,unhide,noauto,owner,ro  0   0
/dev/scd1        /mnt/cdrw        iso9660     user,unhide,noauto,owner,ro  0   0

/dev/sdd1        /mnt/cf          vfat        user,noauto,owner,rw  0  0

none             /dev/pts         devpts      gid=5,mode=620   0   0
none             /proc            proc        defaults         0   0
none             /proc/bus/usb    usbfs       defaults         0   0

>From the debian laptop (2.6.0-test1-ac1, sorry forgot i still have to upgrade that one):

/dev/hda3       /       ext3    defaults        0       1
/dev/hda5       /usr/src reiserfs defaults      0       0
/dev/hda6       swap    swap    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda7       /tmp     reiserfs defaults      0       0
/dev/hda8       /home    reiserfs defaults      0       0
/dev/hda2       /data/slackware reiserfs defaults  0    0
proc            /proc   proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/fd0        /floppy auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom  iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
none             /proc/bus/usb    usbfs       defaults         0   0

In both cases the network mounts have been left out.
I've never used devfs, so no experience there.

Good luck,

Rudy