[Techtalk] Upgrading to kernel 2.6-test4 mouse problem

Rudy L. Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Thu Sep 25 00:59:31 EST 2003

Bud wrote:

>Hi Rudy,
>
> This is on a desktop with a Logitech mouse.
>
>Bud
>
>On Tuesday 23 September 2003 1:14 pm, you wrote:
>

>>Bud wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>One of my friends upgraded to kernel 2.6-test4 on debian (using SID) and
>>>eveything boots fine except X fails to start because it says opening
>>>/dev/mouse failed. For some reason the mouse device doesnt seem to get
>>>detected with the new kernel and changing to /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice
>>>didnt work on XFree86Config file. Tried changing the protocol to PS/2 and
>>>IMPS/2 still no luck.
>>>
>>>Has anyone come across this problem? Thanks in advance
>>>
>>>Bud
>>>

>>On a laptop or on a desktop? On a laptop you have to upgrade XFree
>>touchpad driver.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Rudy

Hmmm,

Did he compile his kernel or use a pre-compiled one? This desktop i am
typing this from is on a modified slackware 9.0 with 2.6.0-test4, now up
for 32 days without probs. And no device problems. My laptop is dual
boot between slackware 9.0 and debian SID, runs the same kernel in both
distros and also has no probs. I always run self-compiled kernels though.

Problem may be related to the input section of the kernel configuration.

Succes,

Rudy