[Techtalk] HP 9100i CD-Writer on Mandrake 8.2

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Tue Sep 23 10:44:38 EST 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:00:41PM -0400, Brenda Bell wrote:

> Before I tear my hair out trying to find drivers, is any one successfully
> using an HP 9100i CD burner on Linux?

I don't have one, but according to the CD-writing HOWTO:

    http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/CD-Writing-HOWTO-1.html

it's supported by cdrecord.

> If it's known to work, hints on finding the driver would be helpful as well.

I think it's ide, so add, for example, "hdc=ide-scsi" (change hdc to
the appropriate device for your system) to your boot options and make
sure you have a kernel with ide-scsi support.  If you have ide-scsi.o
in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/scsi, you should be OK.

To change your boot options, you need to know whether you're booting
with lilo, grub or something else.  If it's lilo, you'll have something
like this in /etc/lilo.conf:

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.7
            label=linux
            initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-20.7
            read-only
            root=/dev/hda1

Add this line:

            append="hdc=ide-scsi"

and run /sbin/lilo.  If it's grub, /etc/grub.conf will have something
like this:

    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-20.7)
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.7 ro root=/dev/hda1
            initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-20.7.img

Add "hdc=ide-scsi" to the end of the "kernel" line.  You don't need to
run grub after doing this - grub is a bit smarter than lilo and will
read the file when it starts booting.

Cheers,

John
whois !JC774-AU at whois.aunic.net