[Techtalk] RHN problem

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Tue Sep 16 09:14:53 EST 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Hanlie Pretorius wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use RH8.0 and Gnome and I have a problem connecting to RHN for
> updates.
>
> The RHN alert icon displays in my toolbar and seems to be able to speak
> to RHN because it flashes a red excalamtion mark.
>
> However, when I try to run up2date nothing happens. When I run up2date
> --register, I get the error: "Fatal error retrieveing privacy statement:
> connection refused."
>
> I'm behind an HTTP proxy server, so I configured the RHN Alert
> Notification Tool with the proxy server's IP address with port 80 at the
> end, my username and my password. But every time I enter the
> configuration, the Enable HTTP Proxy check box is deselected.
>
> On the RHN webpage my system is listed as "not checking in".
>
> I checked the RHNSD service and it's running.
>
> I've updated my RHN security certificate and I've sucessfully used RHN
> since then.
>
> I would really appreciate any help.

Sounds like your proxy settings are incorrect.  Have the proxy settings on
your network changed recently?

RHN keeps its proxy settings /etc/sysconfig/rhn/{rhn_register,up2date}
though i've never worked with a proxy, so i'm not sure what they should
look like.

> (Perhaps the answer is to switch to Mandrake? :-) Do they have a similar
> automatic update service?)

mandrake's utility is "MandrakeUpdate" for a gui and the background
program is called "urpmi".  It's not as scriptable as up2date, as it seems
to require more manual intervention and explicit reloading of remote
directories to look for updates. It's getting better every version
though.

HTH

--mandi