[Techtalk] RHN problem

Hanlie Pretorius hpretorius at pnp.co.za
Tue Sep 16 08:00:36 EST 2003

Hi,

I use RH8.0 and Gnome and I have a problem connecting to RHN for
updates.

The RHN alert icon displays in my toolbar and seems to be able to speak
to RHN because it flashes a red excalamtion mark.

However, when I try to run up2date nothing happens. When I run up2date
--register, I get the error: "Fatal error retrieveing privacy statement:
connection refused."

I'm behind an HTTP proxy server, so I configured the RHN Alert
Notification Tool with the proxy server's IP address with port 80 at the
end, my username and my password. But every time I enter the
configuration, the Enable HTTP Proxy check box is deselected.

On the RHN webpage my system is listed as "not checking in".

I checked the RHNSD service and it's running.

I've updated my RHN security certificate and I've sucessfully used RHN
since then.

I would really appreciate any help.

(Perhaps the answer is to switch to Mandrake? :-) Do they have a similar
automatic update service?)

Thanks
Hanlie

Read our disclaimer at: http://www.picknpay.co.za/email-disclaimer.htm
If you don't have web access, the disclaimer can be mailed to you on request.
Disclaimer requests to be sent to it-security at pnp.co.za